Tuesday, October 20, 2009

update

No new pictures today, although I should scan in the picture we had taken tonight for his new visa. He did not want to sit for it, but then suddenly decided to cooperate fully, even with a "cheese" for the camera. It was funny!

But I just thought I'd write a little about some things he is doing, or rather saying, because it is so fun and I want to remember. We are really enjoying this stage with him, and Kevin has mentioned several times that he doesn't want him to grow up!

LETTERS
Seth LOVES to "do letters." It all started with my Aunt Nancy buying those magnetic letters at a garage sale and giving them to him this summer. Although there are supposed to be 52 letters between the upper and lowercase letters, we only have 39. And there are no E's, so we can't spell his name. :( One day he started liking the letters and asking about them. So we just started telling him words that began with those letters. He would always find D, M, and S on the fridge and come tell us "D Dad, M Mom, S Seth!" very excitedly. Now he is into all letters and knows a third of them really well and at least one word that goes with each. Any book we read, trip in the car, or trip to the grocery store (or anywhere really) turns into a hunt to find letters, which has not once been initiated by us but rather by him. I used to be able to shop in quiet and go undetected as an American and English speaker. Not so much any more. Seth will shout excitedly and repeatedly every letter he sees and knows plus words that start with it. Fortunately the old ladies at the store think it's adorable, and then they just tell me things about him being sweet and whatnot.

SHAPES
He suddenly knows shapes. I swear I am not trying to teach my almost two year old these things. He just asks questions and pays attention to things I thought he didn't or couldn't understand. That amazes me. We were reading a book the other day, and he said, "Circle!" I told him that yes, that moon was a circle. I thought that it was perhaps just a coincidence, but in the last couple days, he has pointed out more circles in other places. He also likes squares and saying trapezoid, but I don't think he understands the latter. :)

NAMES
Seth loves saying his name. Everyone loves to hear him say his name. As a result, Seth says his name several dozen times a day to everyone. "Seth Yaiko!" He will say Seth Norman Yaiko if we tell him that, but if not, his name is just Seth Yaiko. He is also remembering other people's names as well. He talks about other people and will include many in his conversations about various topics. His "two gwagwas" (grandmas) are often talked about.

TALKING
He basically talks nonstop all day. He repeats everything you say, and he will continue repeating things until you acknowledge what he has said. And a simple "yes" or "no" won't do. You have to repeat back to him what he just said. Perhaps he's making sure we all understand. But it's funny. Kevin and I have also heard him repeating certain commands we have told him to do or not do. I don't know if he is reminding himself or what, but we laugh. For example, he will tell me "Seth no kicking" when we change diapers, even though I haven't had to tell him that in awhile.

One day Seth was talking about letters at school to some teacher because he found some and was just so excited. Their response was something about of course him learning that stuff already with a mother who was an elementary teacher and a father who is a math teacher. But I have told many people that I have not tried teaching him any of these things. I really don't believe in that "my baby can read" sort of thing. He has been naturally curious and asking, so we just tell him. We had no idea how much these things would just stick, and I'm sure tomorrow a lot of it could vanish. But it's been a good reminder to me especially to make sure I am taking the time with him and modeling correct words and actions. He picks up on so much even at this age, and it has been quite surprising. We are thoroughly enjoying this stage!

2 comments:

Doug said...

Could you teach him to say "Go Yankees" for me? That would be great if he could great me with that at the airport! Love you guys!

Stefanie Schocke said...

SUCH A FUN AGE!