Seth had his wellness check-up today. Yes, I was a month late, so it's ten months instead of nine. Beginning of school was crazy and didn't get it in until today.
So here is what Dr. Simonkovich said:
- Seth grew a ton... 5 whole cm! Apparently that is a lot because both he and the nurse who measured Seth commented on that.
- Seth should put on some weight... Despite growing in height, he only put on one kilo, maybe. I don't remember the exact number from last time. He now weighs around 17 lbs. According to the growth charts, he's on the low side. It is interesting to me because this is the first time ever that Dr. Simonkovich has even mentioned the growth chart or plotted him on it. He asked what Seth ate, how much, and how often. Pretty much the kid eats ALL day. He said he wasn't concerned but just try feeding him more carbs and see if that helps. I chuckled because Seth's favorite foods are pasta, rice, potato, bread, and crackers. That kid eats anything and everything put in front of him, so I guess he just must have his father's metabolism or something.
- Seth is not normal... Dr. Simonkovich literally said that. It was funny. He was doing an eye exam and told me not to worry when he cried because all kids hate it. Seth just looked at him, smiled, and talked while he did it. The doctor looked up at me and said that to me.
- Seth is the happiest and strongest kid... I couldn't agree more.
A side note, I just found the website for the clinic we go to. Everyone there speaks English fluently, so that has not been a problem or concern. One thing that was hard about Telki at times was not being able to clearly communicate in English with health matters. We obviously did fine, but there were a few very stressful moments. Anyway, I discovered that they have pictures and a little bio on the doctors there! You can see them all here. Dr. Peter Simonkovich is Seth's pediatrician, and Dr. Árpád Kosztin is my OB/GYN. Dr. Gábor Győri is another doctor I've seen because he works at the school two days a week. It was neat to read their little bios and read all of the languages they can speak! Amazing how lingual Europeans are. I think it's terrific. Many of them have practiced medicine in the US and other countries.
2 comments:
Wow he grew a lot! Don't worry about his weight - do you know if the dr. used the new WHO charts for breastfed infants or the one for formula fed infants?
They have different growth rates and it is very very common for bf infants to drop down on the charts from 6-12 months as they get more active - it's nothing to worry about, especially b/c you can see he's eating plenty. But if the dr. was using one for babies who are formula fed he might think there's a problem when there's really not.
Here's a good article from Kellymom about it with links to the growth charts:
http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/growthcharts.html#growth
I agree! Daniel started to drop off the charts around the same time. Breastfed kids are leaner.
Taking after Daniel...
Post a Comment